Thursday 12 September 2024

A Scorpion Heads Straight for Me!


“Suddenly, a scorpion comes running toward me with its tail arched over its back. It’s heading straight for my bare feet in sandals!”


The scorpion, Kalahari Game Lodge Campsite,
Namibia, 2024.


When the doctor doesn't take his own Medicine!

One of the things I always “preach” when we’re in Africa is:

  • Watch where you put your hands
  • Watch where you step
  • Wear sturdy shoes/boots, preferably ones that cover the ankles

But as we know, it's one thing to say something and another to do it! Or, as we used to jokingly tell the kids, “Do what we say, not what we do.”

I got a scary reminder of this at the Kalahari Game Lodge Campsite.


Sunset first night at our idylic campsite,
Kalahari Game Lodge, Namibia 2024. 


We had just arrived at the Kalahari Game Lodge Campsite after an absolutely fantastic drive along Olifant River Road (D1033). Covered in dust after 6.5 hours on gravel roads, nothing sounded better than a warm shower. There was just one little obstacle: the hot water at this place comes from a so-called “donkey,” where you have to light the fire yourself and wait for the water to heat up. It’s a bit like an old-fashioned wash boiler, for those who remember that.


Donkey boiler, now fire where
scorpion lived moments before,
Kalahari Game Lodge Campsite,
Namibia, 2024. 


That wasn’t going to stop me from getting my warm shower. Firewood was already prepared by the donkey’s fire pit, so I bent down to adjust it and place a fire starter block. I was still wearing my sandals with bare feet after the drive!

Suddenly, a scorpion literally comes running toward me with its tail arched over its back. It’s heading straight for my bare feet in sandals! Thank goodness I didn’t grab the scorpion when I was adjusting the firewood. I had broken at least two of the three good pieces of advice above!

I managed to keep calm enough to take a little video of the critter. It had very small pincers and a thick tail – which means it's venomous. The rule of thumb is: big pincers and a small tail = not dangerous, but small pincers and a big tail = dangerous. A bit like the rule with men and big or small feet, just the other way around ;-)


Video [avaiting better wifi]: A scorpion races toward me!


A rare sight

After several trips to Africa (this being my 6th time in Namibia), we can still count on one hand how many snakes we’ve seen. Most of the time, it’s when we’re driving, and a snake crosses the road. This is probably because we tend to travel in winter (in the southern hemisphere), when snakes hide in holes and dens to avoid the cold.

We’ve seen even fewer live scorpions. They mostly come out at night, so it’s important to be aware of where you step! Another crucial thing is to always check inside boots/shoes before putting them on, and to keep bags/backpacks/tents closed when not in use.

It’s good to be reminded of these things by our new little acquaintance.


Kalahari Game Lodge Campsite,
Sunset Aoub riverbed seen from our camp,
Namibia, 2024.


A Few Facts About Scorpions

I’ll write some facts about scorpions and their danger levels once I’m back home and have decent Wi-Fi.

1 comment:

Thanks for your comment, I return as soon as we have internet again